It's Time to Discover Life Refreshed!
We understand that you have questions as you make the decision to move to a retirement community. Our job is to help give you peace of mind and help make your transition to our campus as easy as possible! At Westminster Canterbury of Lynchburg, you can expect to discover the true meaning of Life Refreshed, while being surrounded by new friends and staff members that are so close you will consider them extended family. Below is just a little bit of information that will help you know the next steps to becoming a Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg resident. Should you have any immediate questions, please don't hesitate to call Marketing Director Laura Hunter at (434) 386-3305.
Step 1: Call our Office and Request a Brochure
Make your brochure request via phone or email. This brochure will give you a great overview of our retirement community and what you can expect when you become a resident of Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg. Inside the descriptive packet, you will find a booklet containing information about our living options, a campus map, a selection of our frequently asked questions, and more! GIVE US A CALL TODAY OR SEND AN EMAIL to receive your free brochure!
Step 2: Meet Laura Hunter
Once you have browsed through our brochure, it's time to schedule a time to meet Laura Hunter, marketing director. This meeting will include a more detailed conversation about what your life could look like at Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg. We will also give you a tour of our 42-acre campus.
Step 3: Join Our Prospective Resident group — The Canterbury Club
The Canterbury Club is a great way to get a hint of what you can experience as a resident. This also helps us to be able to meet your needs when the time comes. As a Canterbury Club member, you have access to our wellness center, dining venues and even our resident website in order to stay up-to-date on everything happening at Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg. To become a Canterbury Club Member today or to learn more, CLICK HERE.
Step 4: Take a Tour of Our Residences
One of the most crucial parts of moving to a retirement community is deciding where you will live! Our campus is home to over 30 different floor plans that you can choose from—ranging from intimate studios to more spacious residences that have two bedrooms, two baths and a den!. Whether you want to live in an apartment or one of our independent-living cottages, the choice is yours!
To learn more about our living options, CLICK HERE!
Step 5: Find The Perfect Home For You
We hope you find your ideal residence on our campus. Now you need to think about your timeline for moving; in a few months, a few years? The more you can share with us, the better prepared we will be to help you through the steps needed to secure your selection, begin renovation and complete the move-in process.
Step 6: Apply for Residency
Based on your timeline for moving, and the availability of the residence you prefer, our team will stay in touch with you. When we have your residence selection available, it's time to apply! Our application requests general information about you, as well as information about your finances. Members of our Resident Life team will call you for an interview. Afterward, we will share which contract we can offer you.
Step 7: Renovations for Your New Home
Once the application process begins, our team will contact you to move forward with customizing your apartment or cottage. We will discuss what modifications need to be made in order to make it fit you! You will have the opportunity to select tile, flooring, paint color, lighting and more. This process will take about 40 to 60 days to complete. We want your new home to fit your style!
Step 8: Get Ready to Move
Ask about our resources for packing, right-sizing your belongings and furniture, selecting a moving company and other helpful tips to make moving to Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg as smooth as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do people choose Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg?
Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg offers an ideal place to live. Residents enjoy charming, comfortable homes in a desirable neighborhood—a convenient locale surrounded by Blue Ridge Mountain beauty—gracious hospitality, service in a welcoming community, and the assurance of lifelong, quality health services if ever needed.
What is a Life Plan Community with LifeCare?
A Life Plan community such as Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg provides financial security, value, flexibility and peace of mind for you and your family.
This community enables you to live in a private residence, with the assurance that health services are available through every stage of life if ever needed. Our LifeCare Plan means you will pay for your assisted living and health care services based on your independent living residence’s monthly fee rather than the actual cost of care. Your assets are protected from catastrophic health care costs. All residents have access to on-site wellness programs, preventive care, 24-hour emergency response, assisted living, memory support and skilled nursing.
Do residents turn over all of their assets to Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg?
Of course not. Westminster Canterbury-Lycnhburg has never had such a policy. In fact, different entrance fee plans and refund options are available so you can select a plan that best fits your personal and financial goals.
What kinds of fees do residents pay?
Residents pay a one-time entrance fee and begin paying a monthly fee upon moving to the community.
The entrance fee provides lifetime residency, use of the community's common areas, availability of on-campus services and amenities, and options that cover some or all of the healthcare services. Entrance fees vary depending on the type of residence, healthcare plan and refund option selected. These options include but are not limited to:
- Unlimited LifeCare Plan: This most extensive option provides future unlimited assisted living and healthcare accommodations based on the monthly fee of your independent living residence.
- Limited LifeCare Plan: This option offers residents 365 lifetime days of assisted living and healthcare accommodations based on the monthly fee of your independent living residence.
- Fee-for-Service Plan: This option provides assisted living and healthcare services at the per diem rate less 15 percent. Independent living entry fees and monthly services fees are significantly reduced if this plan is selected.
Are any of the fees considered tax deductible?
Yes, a significant portion of the entrance fee is recognized as a pre-paid healthcare expense. A similar portion of the monthly fee is also deductible as a medical expense.
What are the refund options?
Three refund options are available:
- Basic Refund Option: The refund will decline at 2% per month for each month of residency through the first 50 months. In the event you voluntarily terminate your Residence and Services Agreement during your first year of residency at Westminster Canterbury, you will receive a full refund of the entrance fee.
- 50% Refund Option: The refund declines at a rate of 2% per month for 25 months. From that point on, a 50% refund is guaranteed once the agreement is terminated and the residence is resold. With this option, a 34% premium is added to the basic entrance fee.
- 90% Refund Option: The refund declines at a rate of 2% per month for 5 months. From that point on, a 90% refund is guaranteed once the residence is resold. With this option, a 90% premium is added to the basic entrance fee.
What kinds of amenities and common areas are available for residents?
Westminster Canterbury-Lynchburg provides a wide variety of programs, activities and social opportunities:
- Choice of several dining venues, plus a private dining room for private parties
- Templeton Wellness Center with heated indoor salt water pool, fitness area, exercise equipment, hot tub, locker rooms and certified wellness staff
- Computer lab with high-speed Internet access, copier, printer and shredder
- Woodworking shop
- Artists’ studio
- Craft/hobby workshop
- Billiards room
- Nature Trail
- Rooftop terrace
- Private garden areas/greenhouse
- Beauty/Barber salon
- Strickler Library
- Weissert Memorial Chapel
- Full-service branch bank and ATM
- Pet friendly campus
- Guest accommodations
Is there a wait list for residency?
Our wait list is called the Canterbury Club. The wait list deposit is $1,300 and will be credited in full toward your Entrance Fee at the time you select your residence. Canterbury Club members are welcome to use the Templeton Wellness Center, attend enrichment programs and opportunities provided Westminster Canterbury residents, as well as enjoy meals in our three dining venues.